It is Friday that the 17 Blues will begin the preparation which will take them to Cologne, theater of the 1er round of Eurobasket 2022. Vincent Collet will have one month to ramp up his group, where ignition delay will be banned in the death group of the European championship. Here is all the information on the preparation of the France team for the Euro.
EuroBasket 2022: 4 weeks of preparation
Bronze medalist at the last world championship and Olympic vice-champion in 2021, the French team now wants to do even better at the next European championship next September. For this, the players begin the preparation this Friday, July 29, at INSEP, for medical tests, then will remain in Ile de France, in Nanterre, for the 1st training sessions.
If the 4 weeks of preparation will allow the players to work on their automatisms, the coach, Vincent Collet, will also have another mission, to reduce his group to 12. A real headache for the Metropolitans 92 coach. without Nicolas Batum or Nando De Coldo, who have decided to ignore this year, the France group will still have a lot of depth.
And for this preparation, the coach called 5 leaders: Andrew Albicy, Thomas Heurtel, Théo Malédon, Frank Ntilikina and Elie Okobo. If it is obvious that there will not be room for everyone, the possibility of dragging certain profiles like Théo Malédon or Elie Okobo to the back will be a possibility. Because if positions 1, 4 and 5 are very well supplied on the tricolor side, positions 2 and 3 may lack rotations. With this in mind, dragging players would be a solution for a few minutes during a match. There is no doubt that Vincent Collet already has plans in mind.
Inside, too, the battle promises to be tough. If 3 names already appear on the final list (Rudy Gobert, Vincent Poirier and Moustapha Fall), maybe Vincent Collet will want to take one more pivot. Let us remember that the year during the Olympic tournament, the coach did not hesitate to play with 2 pivots at the same time on the ground.
On the external positions, Evan Fournier and Timothé Luwawu-Cabarrot will be, without injury, the trip to Germany. If Isaia Cordinier could replace Evan on post 2, William Howard’s question on post 3 will be a real topic of conversation. The new Badalone player has a card to play on a position without rotations and where the coach could tinker. A great opportunity for the last hero of the Betclic Elite final.
The preparation will be very important for the coach in order to recreate a dynamic and automatisms, in a group where Nando De Colo and Nicolas Batum served as facilitator in the collective, whether in attack for the 1er cited and in defense for the 2n/a. In a group with Luka Doncic’s Slovenia, Domantas Sabonis’ Lithuania and Denis Schröder’s Germany at home, you will have to be ready from the 1st.er september !
The qualifications for the world cup a few days before the Eurobasket
This is a particularity of this preparation for Eurobasket 2022, an international window just a few days before the start of the European championship. Qualifiers for the next 2023 World Cup in Japan, the Philippines and Indonesia, the 2 matches will be a last rehearsal before leaving for Germany. On August 24, in Paris, the French will face the Czech Republic of Tomas Satoransky and Jan Vesely, new players from FC Barcelona. A team that the Blues had beaten in the 1er tour in Tokyo last year. Then on August 27, direction Bosnia (which the tricolors will also find at 1er Euro tower). However, a doubt hangs over the participation of this country in Eurobasket 2022 as well as in the qualifications, for a financial problem with the Bosnian federation.
Two meetings where the French team will have to put intensity in order to be ready for the start of the European championship. What’s more, 2 victories would allow the French to have one foot and 4 toes at the World Cup! In other words, less pressure to tackle the main deadline for this summer.
The list of 17 players present for the start of preparation
Here are the 17 players who will participate in the preparation for Eurobasket 2022. Coach Vincent Collet will give his final list of 12 players for the European Championship a few days before flying to Germany:
- Andrew Albicy (Gran Canaria, leader)
- Thomas Heurtel (St. Petersburg, leader)
- Theo Maledon (Oklahoma City, point guard)
- Frank Ntilikina (Dallas Mavericks, point guard)
- Elie Okobo (AS Monaco, leader)
- Isaia Cordinier (Virtus Bologna, back)
- Evan Fournier (New York Knicks, fullback)
- Terry Tarpey (Le Mans, back)
- William Howard (Badalone, winger)
- Timothé Luwawu-Cabarrot (free, winger)
- Amath Mbaye (Anadolou Efes, strong winger)
- Guerschon Yabusele (Real Madrid, strong winger)
- Victor Wembanyama (Boulogne Metropolitans, hub)
- Vincent Poirier (Real Madrid, pivot)
- Mouhammadou Jaiteh (Virtus Bologna, pivot)
- Rudy Gobert (Minnesota Timberwolves, center)
- Moustapha Fall (Olympiakos, pivot)
France team: the preparation program
The preparation for the Eurobasket will begin with a gathering like every year on the side of the INSEP for medical tests, before an internship in Nanterre for a week. The Blues will then chain several friendly matches including a double confrontation against Italy, which the French had dismissed in the quarter-finals of the last Olympic Games.
- Friday July 29 : gathering and medical tests at INSEP
- Sunday July 31 to Saturday August 6 : internship in Nanterre
- Sunday August 7 : France – Netherlands in Rouen (Kindarena, 5 p.m.)
- Friday August 12 : Italy – France in Bologna (Virtus Arena)
- Tuesday August 16 : France – Italy in Montpellier (Sud de France Arena, 8:30 p.m.)
- Thursday August 18 : France – Belgium in Montpellier (South of France, 8:30 p.m.)
FIBA had the good idea this year to set a qualifying window for the next World Cup in 2023 a few days before the start of Eurobasket:
- Wednesday August 24 : France – Czech Republic at the Accor Arena in Paris, at 8:30 p.m. (2023 World Cup qualifiers)
- Saturday August 27 : Bosnia – France (2023 World Cup qualifiers, place and time to be determined)
Then the Blues will take the direction of Cologne on monday august 29.
The calendar of 1er Eurobasket 2022 round (group B)
- Thursday, September 1 : Germany – France at 8:30 p.m.
- Saturday September 3 : Lithuania – France at 5.45 p.m.
- Sunday September 4 : Hungary – France at 8:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, September 6 : Bosnia – France at 2.30 p.m.
- Wednesday, September 7 : Slovenia – France at 5:15 p.m.
Laurent Blanc is the only president