Just a bit over 10 years in the past, Nathan Jones was nonetheless enjoying skilled soccer at Yeovil City. He spent seven years there after spending greater than 5 with Brighton & Hove Albion. Curiously sufficient, he by no means had a factor to do with Southampton.
Nathan Jones is, in fact, the present supervisor in control of the Saints after Soton determined to half methods with Ralph Hasenhuttl final November, appointing the lad from Blaenrhondda, Wales, in his alternative.
There’s something attention-grabbing right here, largely due to what Jones mentioned on Monday when requested about Howe’s tenure in control of the Magpies—Howe, simply in case, was appointed after the Saudi takeover in October 2021.
The parallels are clear between each managers and golf equipment—sinking groups within the Premier League looking for a break by handing the reins to vibrant, younger coaches nonetheless inexperienced and maturing.
”There are a whole lot of parallels. If I can do anyplace close to the job he has performed there, I will likely be comfortable. He took a crew over in League Two and did properly, then went to Burnley, got here again and received Bournemouth to the Premier League.”
These have been Jones’ phrases, and the reality is that they have been proper and factual.
Jones has been on the bench of Southampton for 2 months now, with the World Cup break smacked proper in the midst of his tenure there. The Saints are useless final within the Premier League, although, so it is not that he is been unimaginable on the helm.
That mentioned, Jones has been staggeringly profitable within the cup video games he is managed at Southampton. The Saints have gained simply one in all six EPL video games since Jones took over the supervisor place. In each the FA Cup and the EFL Cup, although, Jones has guided his crew to a ridiculous 3-0 report with victories over Lincoln Metropolis, Crystal Palace, and Manchester Metropolis. That is no joke, of us.
Advancing in each cups is definitely not similar to advancing in, say, the Champions League, by way of how demanding these competitions are for struggling groups in home leagues. The truth is, Southampton may be final within the Premier League however they’re additionally simply two video games away from making a cup ultimate and 4 from sneaking right into a second one.
On the finish of the day, trailing all people sucks. However Soton is sitting in twentieth with 15 factors, the identical as Nineteenth-place Everton and simply two shy of 18th- and Seventeenth-place Bournemouth and Wolves.
Newcastle higher not relaxation on their laurels and play a hella robust and aggressive sport right now, and one other one subsequent week in the event that they need to keep away from upsets and surprises. Jones may be the subsequent Howe, and his cup runs (sure, plural) have already confirmed his teaching skills.
Eddie Howe spoke to the media on Monday offering some recent takes on Newcastle’s state of affairs simply hours earlier than right now’s sport.
You may learn the whole lot Howe needed to say right here, as a part of our pre-match protection.
WhoScored.com predictions on the upcoming Beginning XIs from the Magpies and the Saints are in, so let’s undergo what could possibly be coming from Newcastle’s Eddie Howe.
- Not Accessible: Shelvey (calf), Krafth (knee), Targett (foot)
- Uncertain: —
- Lots of people have been shocked by Bruno’s presence on the beginning XI utilized by Howe final Saturday for the most recent Premier League sport in opposition to Palace. Sure, we nonetheless do not perceive how he may return so rapidly, both. Additionally sure: pencil Bruno in right now’s lineupas a result of why not, proper Howe?
- It is all smiles round Tyneside as of late with the crew attaining improbable outcomes, sitting in third place within the Premier League desk with multiple full spherical of video games performed, and nonetheless vying for cup success within the Carabao Tourney. Tensions may be brewing behind the scenes, although.
- Why is Howe enjoying their lads by all potential video games and minutes on a weekly foundation? Is Howe sending a message to the board to spend now as an alternative of ready till the summer time? Is Howe proper about it if that is the case? Questions, questions…
- The reality is that Newcastle’s rotation is slim at greatest, and non-existent at worst. Take away Allan Saint-Maximin from the equation, and no different reserve within the Magpies bench would crack the beginning XI of any different crew within the Premier League. That is hella telling of the dearth of expertise sitting in there ready for an opportunity.
- On high of that, NUFC are promoting subpar-but-warm our bodies within the likes of Chris Wooden, which I imply, they may not present a ton of goodies however nonetheless make for an possibility within the want of it.
- Isak is greater than price a beginning name. Wilson would hate it, in fact, however veteran legs are poised to interrupt sooner or later. So take measures when you possibly can, Howe!
- I do not assume I must touch upon the rest as a result of the XI is not going to alter one bit. That is Eddie Howe managing from the sidelines, keep in mind… joelinton is again to the left-wing place, and Bruno will as soon as extra be within the center flanked by Willock and longstaff.
- I am calling Isak in, Wilson out, however I counsel you do not guess your home on it. Bear in mind: Eddie Howe.
CHN Predicted Lineup
DEF Trippier – Schar – Botman – Burn
- date: Tuesday, January twenty fourth
- kick off: 20:00 BST / 15:00 EST
- location: St. Mary’s Stadium, Southampton (England)
- Broadcasts: DAZN (DOG) —ESPN+ (USES) — Sky Extremely HD, SKY GO Additional, TalkSport Radio UK, Sky Sports activities Soccer, Sky Sports activities Most important Occasion, BBC Radio 5 Dwell (UK)
For all of your worldwide watching wants, verify LiveSoccerTV.com.
Please don’t share or talk about hyperlinks to unlawful streams right here.
Howay the Lads!