On the very least, we discovered that this Juventus group has loads of battle in it.
When it was 4 minutes in and Ademola Lookman was credited with a objective that Wojciech Szczesny needs to be catching 11 instances out of 10, I wasn’t so positive we might be saying that.
A tumultuous week got here to its apex Sunday evening. Simply 48 or so hours after Juventus noticed a 15-point penalty handed down on account of the continued plusvalenza investigation(s), the primary recreation since mentioned resolution noticed Max Allegri’s squad having to battle out of an especially early gap earlier than they may actually get a really feel for his or her red-hot opposition. Battle again they needed to do on greater than extra event, with Danilo’s right-footed heat-seeking missile capping an evening by which Juve’s protection was not nice, the assault pretty efficient for the primary time in a very long time and the refereeing… properly, we can’t go there simply but.
May it have been a lot, a lot worse after Szczesny’s largest blunder of the season? And it’s.
Ought to it have been a lot, a lot better with how Juve performed after falling behind 1-0 after which 3-2 in addition to the way by which they allowed Atalanta to attain their targets? And it’s.
Each are very a lot relevant on this case as a result of it was simply that type of curler coaster of a match that most likely would not have stunned anybody had it completed 4-3 or 5-4 primarily based on how issues have been going.
Ultimately, although, it’s going to really feel rather more like two factors misplaced reasonably than a degree earned due to the best way that every part went down.
And let’s face it: As poor as Juventus’ protection was at instances — and particularly in the course of the targets that Atalanta scored — this might have spiraled into one thing a lot, a lot worse than what it ended up being. That is the optimistic a part of it. Juventus’ gamers had the type of response — even with every part that has gone on the final couple of days and all of the discuss surrounding the membership since Friday — that you just need to see each single time they fall behind however have not essentially delivered over the course of Allegri’s second stint as supervisor.
That is a part of the rationale why it appears like two factors misplaced.
Juventus deserved extra from this even if the rating favored Atalanta after simply 3 one⁄2 minutes. Juve had the appropriate battle again, and out of doors of the primary components of each halves have been positively the higher group on the evening.
We’ve not been capable of say that usually this season. However on this evening they have been — and for that we needs to be proud of how the responded but additionally slightly annoyed that they did not come away with greater than a degree understanding simply how priceless factors are actually in contrast to a couple days in the past.
RANDOM THOUGHTS AND OBSERVATIONS
- The second the Serie A ads have been introduced out for the pre-game procedures, a refrain of boos and whistles rained down from the Allianz Stadium crowd. GOOD.
- The identical occurred when the Serie A anthem was performed after the gamers lined up earlier than shaking arms. That, additionally, was GOOD.
- Effectively, a minimum of one of many three penalties Juve most likely deserved to get was referred to as. It is often not even that good of a share. Bravo on being proper a 3rd of the time, Serie A!
- Angel Di Maria introduced the products to this recreation, man. He was phenomenal.
- There was a degree in a single first-half enterprise ahead that Di Maria was 1-on-5 and he nonetheless tried to interrupt an ankle or two and make one thing occur. (You additionally hoped that any individual would get there to assist a man out, however it’s what it’s, I assume.)
- The mixture play between Di Maria, Nicolo Fagioli and Arek Milik on Juve’s go-ahead objective late within the first half was a number of the finest soccer this Juventus group has performed all season. That is perhaps thought of a low bar for a few of you, however that is the good things irrespective of how conservative your supervisor is.
- It is instances like that by which you simply hope Allegri let his gamers play and never put the clamps on them so many instances. You simply concern what the final two defensive performances in opposition to Serie A opposition will do for a man who’s very happy to place everyone behind the ball in opposition to even the smallest of golf equipment.
- Juventus has allowed eight targets in its final two Serie A video games.
- Juventus allowed seven targets in its first 17 Serie A video games.
- Juventus went from eight straight clear sheets in opposition to Serie A opposition to permitting eight targets in two video games in opposition to Serie A opposition.
- All of these numbers being mentioned, I assumed Bremer (for essentially the most half) had a fairly good bounce again recreation after his catastrophe of an evening in opposition to Napoli. Even when he did make a mistake he was there to mop up the mess fairly rapidly.
- Put Nicolo Fagioli full time irrespective of who’s wholesome and do not look again, Max. It is time. The midfield is only a totally different animal when Fagioli is there in comparison with when he is on the bench.
- I do know transfers are what they’re with the present state Juve is in, however holy crap I wish to request one Giorgio Scalvini on a few 10-year contract, please.
- Alex Sandro’s defending on Atalanta’s third objective was… my goodness that was unhealthy.
- Juan Cuadrado was subbed on, making his first look since mid-November. Dude was in full YOLO mode, principally reminding us that whereas he is able to some actually good issues he is also right here to frustrate the dwelling hell out of you typically, too.
- As we all know with Wojciech Szczesny, typically his errors are available bunches. Let’s hope that he can put Sunday’s large blunder behind him and stop a repeat of final season by which he had a protracted spell of miscues.
- All that being mentioned, I nonetheless do not know what Szczesny was making an attempt to do on Lookman’s first objective. And that is coming from a former goalkeeper. Simply catch the ball, my man. You have been in the appropriate place.
- Arek Milik has simply scored his stunning objective to provide Juve a 2-1 lead, the Allianz Stadium is jacked up for excellent motive and regardless of all of that noise you can nonetheless hear Carlo Pinsoglio at full quantity rooting his teammates on. That was clearly a well-placed discipline microphone in addition to a really loud man.
- it is a quiet evening for Filip Kostic when he begins a recreation, performs over 60 minutes and solely makes an attempt TWO crosses. Sure, TWO CROSSES. For the dude who does nothing however cross.
- I like Federico Chiesa taking part in with slightly little bit of sass and angle to his recreation like he had in opposition to Atalanta. I believe being tackled in the best way he was a couple of instances understanding full properly it took 10 months to get again to full well being had slightly one thing to do with it. Discuss your discuss although, Fred.
- Juventus now has per week in between video games, a slight respite to try to regroup and determine a couple of issues out earlier than going through Monza for the second time in lower than two weeks. Let’s simply hope that a number of the focus in coaching by Allegri includes DEFENSE, DEFENSE, DEFENSE.